Wednesday 1 December 2010

A Few of our Favourite Things

So, as you'll no doubt be aware we didn't make it along to Rugby Park on Saturday to watch my dad's team beat mine for the second time this season. A combination of poor weather and poor health meant that we decided against the journey.


I'm glad I didn't make it along to witness Aberdeen fall to their eleventh defeat of the season in the SPL. The Aberdeen Board obviously decided enough is enough and tonight they've sacked Mark McGhee and his assistants go. Here's hoping it starts some sort of recovery at Pittodrie.


We'd also planned to go to Raith Rovers on Tuesday but the snow put an end to that. It looks more than likely that our trip to Dunfermline on Saturday will be off as well. So seeing as it might be a while before I get to report on Game 24, here are a few of our favourite things and some stats to keep you going:

Mileage so far: 3,164 miles


Best pie: Both Aberdeen & Albion Rovers scored 8 out of 10


Favourite Game: My Dad has gone for three games. First one I'm sure he's doing on the wind up as it's the Aberdeen v Kilmarnock game where his lot won in the 93rd minute. The other two are the Motherwell v Hibs game and the Montrose v Stranraer game. My favourite game so far has been Stranraer v Morton, granted it was fairly one sided, but you don't see eight goals that often - nae Aberdeen puns from you lot.


Favourite Goal: My Dad went for Leigh Griffiths's 25 yard thunderbolt for Dundee against Partick Thistle. I have chosen Jamie Stevenson for East Stirlingshire against Elgin City.


Honourable mention must be given to Paul Emslie who in the first game we went to scored for Peterhead from forty yards.



You can go to www.scottishfootballleague.com/sfltv.com/goal-of-the-month for July/August to see the Paul Emslie goal. The judges didn't agree with me for my goal, but what do they know eh! The November goal of the month competition has yet to be posted.


Favourite Stadiums: My Dad has chosen Palmerston Park (Queen of the South) or Victoria Park (Ross County), whereas I have to admit Ibrox Park looked amazing for the Champions League match the other night; but I could never pick it as a favourite and so I it's Bayview Stadium (East Fife) with it's sea view and adjacent disused power station I've gone for.


Best Day Out: Again, my Dad's being greedy here going for either Montrose, Elgin or Stranraer. I'm going to plump for the very first day, the long 322 round trip to Peterhead and the realisation that we were actually off and running.


Best Atmosphere: Dad & I both chose the Dundee v Partick Thistle game. This was the first week after Dundee were docked 25 points after plunging into administration and the place was jumping.




The Ground Time Forgot: Cliftonhill - Albion Rovers




Surreal Experience: Watching Queen's Park v Albion Rovers play at the National Stadium. A stadium which holds 52,000 but on this day there were only 529 of us there.



Best Quote: There was only ever going to be one winner -- "You're not in f**kin Kansas now Dorothy, this is Dumbarton". The greatest put down I've ever heard to a player wearing red boots.


So there you go a few of our favourite things from the twenty three games so far, no doubt come the end of the season almost all of the above will change. although I reckon we could go to every ground in Britain and never hear a quote better than the 'Kansas' one.


Our next game is scheduled to be the Celtic v Kilmarnock game on the 11th December. Guess we'll just to wait and see how this weather turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment